Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Train Trip to Washington

Yeah sure — it was this tiny corridor I looked at for a very long time on the train, sitting with a gentleman from out west somewhere. Glad to get a seat as the train was full. Soon after sitting, I noticed an awful smell permeating from some place. Was it the man I was sitting with? Was it someone else? Uffda I thought, I cannot sit here for 32 hours and survive. There were some wonderful people I met while in the train station waiting to board a train that was 4 hours late who were being moved to another car so they could all be together. I asked for their seat that was two spaces ahead as I had figured out the awful smell came from the gentleman who was sitting across the aisle. In Minot, North Dakota I got my seat. It was so good to finally breath fresh air again. I was now located directly across from where the steps are to go downstairs. I though I would sneak in a nap as I had not slept all night while we were on our way to Williston, North Dakota. It worked, I slept well until the Conductor came up and tapped me on the shoulder and said I had to move over and make room for passengers who were boarding as the train would be full again. As they boarded, I looked them all over carefully and a young 20 something gentleman came up and introduced himself as Adam, on his way to western Montana and asked if he could sit with me. I said that was fine. Once he sat down, he proceeded to tell me that since the train was 4 hours late, he had been in the bar across the street passing his time while waiting for the train. Yes, I could smell that, but it was the lessor of the two evils I thought at the time. We visited a bit, and then this big comes along and says, "Lets go for a beer!" Well at that time, the conductor called us to go for the evening meal where I was seated with a very nice lady from Washington and a young couple with a 2 year old from Indiana. We had some interesting conversation about lots of things and then Sandi from Washington made the comment that she had been retired since age 41 as she had had an aneurysm which burst in her brain and had to have a clip put in. She also had some experimental procedures done to her, which paved the way for coiling aneurysms like they do now. She gave me a great big hug when I told her I had an aneurysm coiled on the brain. The meal was not bad for train food. As we went our separate ways, I proceeded back to my seat. When I got there, Adam was back from the lounge eating a couple of hamburgers in his seat. I sat down and he chatted and chatted the whole time. Soon, the big guy came along again and said "Let's go for a beer!" All I wanted to do was sleep, as I had not slept since Wednesday evening and this was Friday evening. Well, Adam decided he wanted to visit and visit and visit. Soon he pulled out a flask and was wondering if I wanted some, I would just about get to sleep while leaning against the window and he would say, "Hey lady — what do you think about this, that or the other?" When the lady conductor came by I asked, "Would you have another seat I could sit in?" She said, "No, the train is full". A gentleman in the seat behind me said I could sit with him, BUT that would be one seat closer to the man whose smell was so horrible, that I decided the drunk was the lessor of the two evils. I finally got to sleep and only woke up when we stopped at Whitefish and Glacier and finally Adam's departure place of Libby, Montana. 

In the morning, I really wanted a cup of hot coffee, the dining car was just in front of the car I was riding in, but did not have coffee brewed yet. Therefore, I had to go back 2 cars to the observation car and go downstairs to the lounge to find some coffee. As I wandered through the first car behind ours, I stopped dead in my tracks and considered taking out my camera as it was definitely a "Kodak Moment". There were two ladies, sitting together in the seats while dressed in their plus size housecoats with their cpap masks on while sound asleep. Uffda

At Spokane, the train splits, part of it goes to Portland, Oregon and part of it goes to Seattle, Washington. The train was just about to depart when this person comes running up to my seat and sits down next to me. It was Sandi, who was suppose to go to Portland, but at the last minute decided to go to Seattle, as she lived in Tacoma and it was closer. We visited and visited and visited. They announced that noon lunch would be free on the train. It was rice and processed squares of pressed chicken. Not the best, but not the worst I have eaten either. The train was just about out of all food, the bathrooms were in horrible shape, a baby was screaming at the top of her lungs, so I decided to bring on the music from my iPhone. I played Peter, Paul and Mary's "Blowin in the Wind" which Sandi and I sang along with. Numerous other songs were played also. Wasn't too long and the conductor came down the aisle and asked us if a baby had messed it's diaper. We said nope, just look at the big guy in the red shirt and you will find your culprit for the smell. Trust me, it was not good. The conductor said he would take care of it. It was not too long and he came down the aisle, starting at the front of the car, with a large Febreeze container while spraying the whole way. People were cheering and clapping. As he came near, we who were closer all started laughing until we about rolled in the aisle. You really had to be there to understand the whole synopsis of the situation. After spraying the whole car, the conductor visited with a few of us and gave a good insight into his daily chores and the workings of a train.

As we rolled into Everett, Washington, Sandi asked me when my birthday was, I told her September. She asked when, I said the 19th. She said, "So is mine!" We both started laughing and promised to keep in touch. She was born in 1947 and I was 1951. No wonder we got along so well.

During the whole train trip, I was in contact with Lovise who was driving her way to Seattle. As it turned out, she got to the train terminal about 1 pm in the afternoon. The train did not get in until about 5:30 pm. She was asked for $20 so a guy could ride the train to Portland, Oregon. Just as we hit the edges of Seattle, Sandi and I and a half a dozen others scurried down the stairs to be near the door as we were all eager to get off. As we went through the tunnel towards the station we all started singing "Goodnight Irene, Goodnight!"

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat — yes — but with a sleeper car all to myself, no matter what the cost. 
The saga of "Telma og Lovise" continues on ~


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Nomar was with Lovise in her car, Telma was on the train coming from Fargo ND, they didn't meet until Saturday

      Delete